Thursday, November 3, 2011

Go native

All the places you've dreamt of visiting, when you finally get there - would you choose to stand apart and look on - or go native and be a part of the scene? I've done both - and the latter is infinitely more satisfying!
It was Bali - so warm and welcoming, so peaceful and happy that lured me to go native! So my attire was the local lungi and the brightly coloured shirt - and like the native Hindus - my bindi was made of grains of rice.
Oooh I was Balinese now - and wanted to do all thing Bali. I was on the sea shoe at dawn watching the people surfing. not the western tourists with their upmarket boards - but the Balinese with roughly hewn planks and flat coconut branches! Some were good - others were learning. But they all were having fun!
"Come come, we will teach you", they invited. Tempted as I was, I declined - cursing myself for not taking my swimming classes more seriously.
I promised myself that Iwould be proficient enough to enjoy the seas when I travelled next. A notion only made stronger by Zindagi na milegi dobara! Not that I would sky dive or even worse - participate in a bull run! Not quite as bull headed - as yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment